Desert Springs Resort, Spain to host ICC Europe Sub – Regional T20 World Cup Qualifying Finals
It is with pleasure that we announce that Desert Springs Resort, Europe’s only international award-winning luxury family resort with its very own dedicated Cricket Ground and Academy, located in Almeria, Andalucía, south-east Spain
has been selected to host the ICC Europe sub regional T20 World Cup qualifying finals between Wednesday 13th– Friday 22nd October, 2021.
Desert Springs Cricket Ground
Following on from the ICC’s recent announcement to award the Desert Springs cricket ground ODI accreditation, this is a further indication of the significance of Spain as an all year-round cricket destination. Over nine intense days, four top European nations; Jersey, Germany, Denmark and Italy will compete to see which two will qualify for the World Cup T20 qualifiers scheduled for early 2022. From that final round of qualifiers, the top four teams will compete in the ICC T20 World Cup finals in Australia in October 2022.
Desert Springs Cricket Ground
ICC and Cricket España staff and officials will work closely with Desert Springs Resort to ensure that Jersey, Germany, Denmark and Italy benefit from a first-class experience both on and off the field. Following two days practice on Wednesday 13th and Thursday 14th October at the Desert Springs Cricket Academy, the teams will then play a double round robin event on the superb Desert Springs Cricket Ground, comprising 6 matches each.
Desert Springs Cricket Academy
Desert Springs Resort Sales & Marketing Manager, Simon Coaker remarked;
“It has been a long journey to create such an exceptional venue for hosting top level cricket, both on and off the field. We are delighted that the ICC has recognised our teams hard work and to see that we are now attracting high quality International cricket events to Spain. We are committed to continual development and look forward to hosting many more top-flight events.”
Resort accommodation for players, officials and spectators is provided in the villas, apartments & townhouses at Desert Springs Resort. Meals are served in the resort’s Crocodile Club Restaurant and the award-winning El Torrente Restaurant at the Club House. Guests benefit from resort gated security and full management and services that ensure all aspects of their stay are taken care of.
Resort Villa Accommodation
Desert Springs Resort is served by three international airports, Almeria 45 minutes, Murcia/Corvera 70 minutes and Alicante 110 minutes away by car, making the area easily accessible with 2 1⁄2 hour chartered and scheduled flights from all parts of the UK and Ireland, as well easy access from the rest of Europe.
For further information about Desert Springs Cricket, please CLICK HERE
For further information about Desert Springs Resort, please CLICK HERE
NOTE TO EDITORS
About Desert Springs Resort
Desert Springs Resort is already known as a resort specialising in family holidays, however it is also known as a centre for warm-weather training for cricketers, athletes, and footballers, as well as golfers and is proving to be one of the most popular destinations for sports warm weather winter training camps.
Visiting Cricket teams have included; The England Test team for their 2015 Pre-Ashes Training Camp, the England ODI team for their 2017 ICC Champions Trophy Tournament training camp, as well as the England Women’s’ Senior Academy, the ECB Young Lions, the ECB Pace Programme and the ECB Lions squad.
In addition, Desert Springs has hosted the National Teams of Spain, Italy, Germany, Denmark and Gibraltar as well as a number of first class Counties including; Lancashire, Sussex, Leicestershire, Glamorgan, Middlesex, Somerset and Derbyshire for pre and winter-season training camps, to name but a few.
Desert Springs Resort
Facilities at Desert Springs Resort include:
- The Indiana course, a par 72 -18-hole USGA specification golf course, designed by former Great Britain and Ireland Golf Team Captain Peter McEvoy who was inspired by the desert courses of Arizona and California;
- a golf academy whose PGA qualified teaching professionals cater for several international teams, for many of the English County Union’s elite squads; PGA European Tour, PGA Europro Tour and LET players.
- two tennis courts, two padel courts, beach volley ball and two football pitches – one is a full-size grass pitch; the other is designed for five-a-side games;
- a cricket ground with an eighteen (18) wicket square, constructed to ECB standards and specifications open all year round. Complimented by a Marquee pavilion, sightscreens, scoreboard, sprint strips, and associated facilities
- a Cricket Academy with facilities that comprise; twenty-four (24) grass wickets and run up with nets, one artificial wicket with nets, a full length artificial grass wicket, a Professional Bola Bowling Machine with 28 ball feeder, requisite training equipment and a specific hard standing area, which provides outside space for facilities such as a free weights gym, stretching mats and a medical area.
- a Spanish colonial style Golf Club House with a lounge, bar, restaurant, locker rooms, TV and reading rooms, and Golf Boutique;
- The Crocodile Club which provides family fun at the heart of the resort with pools, equipped sand play areas, as well as a Jacuzzi, sun lawns and a pool bar;
- a health and fitness club and spa.
Desert Springs Resort was awarded Best Golf Resort for Groups in Europe by the European Group Travel Awards (EGTA). The Indiana Course at Desert Springs Resort has also been recognised as the 6th Best Golf Course in Spain, based on the reviews of players who rated the course on the Leading Courses website.
Desert Springs Resort has been awarded the Daily Mail Best Almeria Award and the Bentley International Property Awards for the Best Spain Development and Best Architecture, as well as the Spanish National Madera Verde Prize for Environmentally Sensitive Development, the SICTED award for the distinction of “Commitment to Tourism Quality” and Andalucía’s Premier Tourism prize for 2017, the coveted and prestigious ‘Excellence in Management’ Award.
El Torrente Restaurant has received the New Millennium International Gastronomy Award for the Tourist, Hotel and Catering Industry. This award was created by the Trade Leaders Club with the aim of distinguishing companies from all countries, for the outstanding quality of their products or services.
The climate of the Almanzora coastal region
Desert Springs Resort takes its name from the region’s desert microclimate, which is unique in Europe. It has the warmest winter weather on the continent with an annual average of more than nine hours of daily sunshine and maximum daily temperatures of between 16°C (60°F) and 30°C (86°F) throughout the year. Annual rainfall is less than 200 mm. The Almanzora coastal waters are among the cleanest and warmest in Europe, attracting both fish and diving enthusiasts.
The Almanzora Group
Sales & Marketing Manager
Tel: +34 678 235 716