UD Almeria Pre-Season Training Camp at Desert Springs a Resounding Success!
UD Almeria ‘B’ Team – Twenty-two (22) squad members accompanied by six (6) coaches and staff during their 3 day Pre-Season Training Camp at Desert Springs Football Academy
With a 3rd place finish in the Segunda División ‘B’ last season, Union Deportiva Almeria (Almeria Football Club) ‘B’ squad returned to Desert Springs Resort in the Almanzora region of south-east Spain, for their annual pre-season training camp between Thursday 30th July- Saturday 1st August.
A squad of twenty-two (22) players and six (6) officials from Almería Football Club spent three days at the resort for their training camp, during which the players benefited from training on the Football Academies world-class international-size grass pitch.
An exterior hard standing area provided space for the use of facilities such as a free weights gym, stretching mats and a medical area. The players also made use of a specifically designed grass area for goalkeeper training and five-a-side games.
Speaking of the team’s experience at Desert Springs, Almeria Football Club Head Coach, Miguel Rivera Mendez remarked:
“We have returned because of the friendliness of the staff and their service, the comfort of the apartments and facilities, and of course, the magnificent conditions of the football pitch and quality of food!”
UD Almeria Goal Keeper Training at Desert Springs Football Academy
Commenting on the quality of the football pitch, UD Almeria Goalkeeping coach, Ricardo Molina Miras remarked;
“The joy of a great save on the grass of Desert Springs! Thank you for everything”
The staff and players also made use of the Sierra Sports Club and the gym. Eduardo Frapolli, Strength and Conditioning Coach commented:
“Ideal facilities to recharge the batteries for the season. It’s been an absolute pleasure! Thank you very much”
Speaking of the conditions of the football pitch at Desert Springs, Yeray Gómez, who played last season with the first team, visiting some of the best football stadiums in Spain, commented:
“You don’t find this quality of grass in most of the football pitches in La Liga!”
UD Almeria Squad Training at the gym located at the Sierra Sports Club
UD Almeria Squad Training at the Desert Springs Football Academy
UD Almeria player Carlos Pérez remarked about his experience at Desert Springs:
“The football pitch is in immaculate condition, the food is great and the sports facilities suit our needs perfectly”
UD Almería vs. Comarca del Mármol pre-season friendly match at the Desert Springs Football Academy
UD Almeria Head Coordinator, Jesús Padilla Belmonte commented:
“Please accept these lines as a big thank you for the hospitality and the treatment received at all times by the staff. Also, the facilities were in excellent condition, which suited perfectly the training required to be completed.”
During their stay, the Almeria players and officials were accommodated in some of the privately-owned apartments normally reserved for holidays and short breaks at Desert Springs and the resort’s executive chef was on hand to cater for the special dietary requirements of individual players dining in the resort’s award-winning El Torrente Restaurant and The Crocodile Club.
Accommodation for UD Almeria Pre-Season training camp players and staff was provided in the Apartments available at Desert Springs Resort.
Simon Coaker, sales and marketing manager at Desert Springs Resort, remarked:
“It is extremely gratifying for the resort to have been approached yet again by the Club, for what is now the fourth year, with the request for Desert Springs to host UD Almeria’s pre-season training camp. We very much hope that the work completed transforms into what we are all confident will be a great start to their forthcoming season.”
Already well known as a resort specialising in golf and family holidays, Desert Springs is gaining popularity as a Centre for warm-weather training for golfers and cricketers, as well as footballers.
- For details of Golf & Sports Training Camps, Corporate Golf Events and Meetings at Desert Springs call 01242 680 116 or visit the website, www.almanzora.com
Additional background Information
The Desert Springs Resort & Golf Club
Facilities already completed and in use at Desert Springs include:
- a par 72 -18-hole USGA Indiana golf course designed by former Great Britain and Ireland Golf Team Captain Peter McEvoy who was inspired by the desert courses of Arizona and California;
- a golf academy whose PGA qualified teaching professionals cater for several international teams, for the women’s elite squads of the Golf Union of Wales and for many of the English County Union’s elite squads; PGA European Tour and LET players.
- two hard tennis courts, two paddle courts, beach volley ball and two football pitches – one is a full-size grass pitch; the other is designed for five-a-side games
- a Cricket Academy with facilities that comprise; a six bay grass wicket and run up with nets, a two bay artificial wicket with nets, a full length artificial grass wicket, a Professional Bola Bowling Machine with 28 ball feeder, a slip catch cradle and a specific hard standing area, which provides outside space for facilities such as a free weights gym, stretching mats and a medical area
- a Spanish colonial style Golf Club House with a lounge, bar, restaurant, locker rooms, TV and reading rooms, and a Ralph Lauren Golf Boutique;
- The Crocodile Club which provides family fun at the heart of the resort with pools, equipped sand play areas, a kid’s battery powered John Deere Gator circuit and a games room as well as a Jacuzzi, sun lawns and a pool bar;
- a health and fitness club and spa.
In 2005 Desert Springs won the Daily Mail Best Almeria Award and the Bentley International Property Awards for the Best Spain Development and Best Architecture. In 2006, it was awarded the Spanish National Madera Verde Prize for Environmentally Sensitive Development. In 2007, the El Torrente Restaurant received the New Millennium International Gastronomy Award for the Tourist, Hotel and Catering Industry. This award was created by the Trade Leaders Club with the aim of distinguishing companies from all countries, for the outstanding quality of their products or services.
The climate of the Almanzora coastal region
Desert Springs takes it name from the region’s desert microclimate, which is unique in Europe. It has the warmest winter weather on the continent with an annual average of more than nine hours of daily sunshine and maximum daily temperatures of between 16°C (60°F) and 30°C (86°F) throughout the year. Annual rainfall is less than 200 mm. The Almanzora’s coastal waters are among the cleanest and warmest in Europe, attracting both fish and diving enthusiasts.
Getting there from the UK
Desert Springs is easy to reach from the UK, thanks to three international airports. They are: Almeria Airport, around 40 minutes away by road; Murcia Airport, 80 minutes by car, and Alicante Airport which is a drive of less than two hours. Airlines currently flying to the region from the UK include easyJet, Monarch, Ryanair, Jet2, Jetair Fly and Thomas Cook.
NOTE: High Resolution Images available upon request.
The Almanzora Group Ltd
The Manor, Boddington, Cheltenham,
Gloucestershire GL51 0TJ
Tel: +44 (0) 1242 680116